Do you need help purchasing a new caravan mattress in September 2019? Are you searching for a replacement caravan mattress?
Need a new mattress for motorhome fixed bed? Whatever your situation may be, this helpful buying guide will document everything you need to know, after all having a nice and comfortable bed is a must for your next adventure!
Sometimes the original mattress which was supplied with your touring caravan or static home may no longer be up to the job. It may be worn, uncomfortable or simply past its best. Before you purchase a new item, you need to figure out whether you’re looking for odd size or an odd shape. Simply take a look at the bed you currently have installed and go from there. Further down this page you’ll find a good list of UK caravan bed and mattress manufacturers – to help you with your quest for a replacement product.
Related Content: Remember to also check out our fantastic article Caravan Mattress – Top 10 List today – featuring some of the best products on the market.
Mattress Fire Safety – Don’t get caught out!
It’s usually recommended to purchase fire retardant mattresses if possible; after all, a touring caravan, static, chalet, log cabin or motorhome is a confined space! It’s better to be ‘safe than sorry’ should the worst happen.
Most reputable companies will have fire certificates which verify their products meet standard UK fire regulations and specifications. These items will have been tested by an independent facility. If the made to measure manufacturer or company you’re buying from cannot provide these certificates, you should carefully consider your options.
If safety is one of your top priorities, you may want to visit the National Bed Federations members section .
Every NBF (National Bed Federation) Approved Member Manufacturer has undergone ‘rigorous independent auditing’ to certify that they have robust procedures in place to ensure they are complying with UK regulations on safety, cleanliness of fillings and trade descriptions.
Custom Size Mattress – What Shape is Correct for You?
In some caravans, motorhomes. campers and tourers, you may notice that there’s non standard shapes and sizes, such as ‘cut off corners mattresses’ or ‘rounded bottom end corners mattresses’. You generally won’t be able to purchase these types of products in a traditional bed shop. There’s a wide range of companies across the country which offer special size mattresses or bed frames, at a varying degree of quality and pricing.
Remember most made to measure mattress manufacturers will be able to virtually produce any shape or size you require, whether that’s a single mattress, double, rectangular mattress, a V shape or a rounded mattress.
With lots of options available, it can sometimes be hard to know which one is right for your needs. To help you, here are some shapes which may be applicable to your situation:
If you’re wanting to purchase a pocket sprung mattress, then read our fantastic Open Coil vs Pocket spring mattress comparison page today!
Remember in most cases custom caravan mattresses won’t be vacuum sealed or ‘rolled up -particularly if you’ve purchased a pocket spring or open coil, some foam only products might be rolled up, however this depends on the manufacturer. This potentially means the item could be harder to transport and get into your camper, motorhome or vehicle. If you have limited space you should definitely think about how you’re going to get your old mattress out and replaced with your new one!
The Ordering Process – How Does it Work?
The majority of UK companies will offer a streamline ordering process, some will ask for measurements using an online form, while others may have an advanced ordering system online. You’ll normally be able to purchase an array of items including for single beds, double beds and bunk beds. Some businesses may also produce bespoke protectors as well.
Don’t let glossy websites ‘tempt you’ more easily than ‘old school’ companies, after all, these websites need more up-keep. Whereby a traditional manufacturer may be able to offer more affordable pricing due to lower overheads.
Equally as every job is different, sometimes its better to contact the company directly via the telephone, so you can get an individual caravan mattress quote based on your requirements. For more complex shapes, most companies will need some sort of a diagram or drawing, which features both the measurements and the shape you require.
After you’re happy with the quote and have paid, your made to measure mattress will normally take around a week to be made. A lot of custom mattress manufacturers are based in the North of England, particularly Yorkshire and Lancashire. However there is other factories dotted around the country too.
Like with most things in life, you’ll normally get the ‘best deal’ by contacting the suppliers directly (List at the end of this page). Sometimes you may find traditional bed shops acting as a ‘middle man’ in the process, this can obviously increase the price of the product, so it’s always recommended to shop around for the best quote.
Manufacturers of Caravan Mattresses in the UK
Here’s an extensive list of companies and factories which produce bespoke caravan mattresses in the United Kingdom.
- Duvalay – Originally own as Raskelf, Duvalay are a family-run business that was recently crowned ‘Bed Manufacturer of the Year 2017-18’. As featured on ‘Dragons Den’ in 2011 and part owned by Hilary Devey. They’re one of the market leaders and are based in Gomersal, West Yorkshire.
- Custom Size Beds – Based in Strood, Kent. Their website features a wide range of products including made to measure mattresses and beds for tourers, motorhomes, boats, euro size and more!
- Jonic Limited – Suitably located close to the M6, on the edge of the Lake District, where they have a showroom which welcomes visitors, so why not enjoy the beautiful lakes alongside a visit to Jonic! The team at Jonic are very proud to manufacture in the UK, ensuring outstanding quality alongside the best customer service. They have built a solid foundation by always going that extra mile and there’s a good range of made to measure mattresses and beds to choose from.
- Linthorpe Beds – This is a family run company which has three bed shops based in the North east of England. They also produce made to measure mattresses for caravans, motorhomes, narrowboats and more. Equally you can find other items like a custom size ottoman bed, custom frames and so on.
- Made 2 Measure Mattress – Made to measure mattresses is a family run bed business of over 20 years experience, earning a reputation for supplying quality products at low prices, with first class service. Based in Tamworth, Staffordshire
- GB Foam Direct – GB Foam was originally founded in 1976 as an independent polyurethane foam converter, set up primarily to please the growing demand for foam conversion or more merely put ‘cutting foam to shape and size’ for the thriving High Wycombe furniture industry. Over the last 40 years the business has expanded and diversified within an ever-changing foam industry, now providing a comprehensive range of specialist foam products to a wide variety of market sectors including bed frames and mattresses.
- The Foam Shop – Supply Foam Cut to Size, Foam Sheets, Memory foam nationally to 1000’s of pleased customers using their web site and online facilities. Based in Taunton, Somerset.
- J and A Foam – Located in Blackburn, Lancashire. J and A Foam have been supplying high-quality foam to the upholstery and bed markets for over 40 years. As well as their trade customers, they also supply foam to the public too, including caravan mattresses, replacement sofa cushions, DIY projects and personal specifications made to measure.
Please note, none of these companies are ‘recommended’ by us, it’s simply a list to help with your search. You will need to do your own research on whether they’re appropriate for your situation and needs.
Frequently Asked Questions about Caravan Mattresses
How long does it take to manufacture a Caravan Mattress?
This depends on whether you’re purchasing a ‘standard’ size product or a ‘custom size’ product. Typically standard sizes such as 3ft, 4ft, 5ft and so on – can be delivered within a few days from most companies. If you’re buying a custom shape or odd size then the timeframe could be slightly longer. All manufacturers have different timescales, so remember to ask them before purchasing.
Should I buy a replacement from the company who made my Caravan / Motorhome?
In most cases you can buy a replacement caravan mattress from the manufacturer of your tourer, static or motorhome.
However, generally they may cost ‘more’ than an independent manufacturer – if you’ve enjoyed the product which came with your ‘van and feel like you have a good nights sleep, then ordering a replacement from your manufacturer could be your best option. If you’ve found that your nights sleep has been disrupted, you may want to consider alternative manufacturers. Unfortunately it’s a very ‘personal choice’ with no right or wrong answers.
Will a manufacturer deliver to a Caravan Park?
Yes, in most cases they will. Some retailers and manufacturers may ‘charge more’ if you’re wanting delivery to certain parts of the UK (such as the Scottish Highlands, Isle of Wight and so on). However this varies from company to company, so it’s recommended to read all terms and conditions before purchasing.