Savvy England
Savvy England
Savvy England

Looking for Motorhome Insurance in February 2019? Read this Great RV Camper Guide Today!

By Phillip Gray
Founder and Editor
Finding the correct level of cover can be a real challenge, that’s why this superb Motorhome Insurance Guide has been written for people all across the UK.

Motorhomes are certainly a popular vehicle to get away for weekends and holidays. There are around 200,000 on British roads and their popularity is increasing all of the time.

Just like other forms of cover, to drive on UK roads you are required by law to have motorhome insurance. This can not only protection yourself, it will insure you against liabilities related to others.

What Motorhomes does UK Insurance cover?

In England there are around eight different types of motorhomes you can purchase. This obviously depends on your budget and the size of vehicle you require.

Generally the motorhomes are split into ‘body styles’ or ‘classes’, the most popular types are:

  • Micro
  • Van Conversion
  • Camper Van
  • Compact
  • Coachbuilt (sometimes known as overcab)
  • Low-profile
  • A-Class
  • American RV
You may find that some motorhome insurers will only ‘insure’ certain models and styles. This means if you’re driving a low-profile motorhome you probably won’t get insured with a specialised provider who covers American RV’s. However, with that being said, most mainstream providers are now becoming more open and offering policies to a wider range of styles.

In addition, it’s also worth pointing out that most insurance companies are usually only ‘comfortable’ with providing a quote for UK manufactured vehicles. This means self-built conversions or DIY motorhomes may be harder to insure.

Which Motorhome Insurance Should I Purchase?

Typically, there’s a few different types of motorhome policies, these include:

  • Third Party Only – This only covers liability for injury to others and damage to somebody else’s property. It does not tend to cover injury to yourself or any damage to your vehicle.

  • Third Party, Fire and Theft (TPFT) – Similar to third-party only, TPFT will also typically provide cover for fire damage, the theft of your motorhome and any damage caused to your motorhome during the theft itself.

  • Comprehensive – If you can afford it, this is the best level of cover you can select. This will include everything third party, fire and theft has with additional benefits. Usually it will also include cover to your motorhome, breakdown cover, loss of personal belongings, contents cover and so on. Remember all comprehensive cover differs depending on the insurance provider, always read all documentation and conditions before signing any agreements.

Camper Van Insurance Exclusions

Sometimes you may find that your policy has an exclusion, this means it may not be covered in the way you think it will be should the unthinkable happen.

Some motorhome policy exclusions can include:

  • Mechanical Breakdown
  • Loss or theft of personal belongings
  • The use of your motorhome as a permanent residence
  • Equally the use of a motorhome for a trade, profession or business use
  • Insect or vermin damage to the vehicle
Read all of your motorhome quotes before you agree. You should be entirely happy with your policy and understand what is and isn’t covered before signing any paperwork.

Motorhome Cover Money Saving Tips

There are a few different ways you can attempt to reduce your premiums. These can include the following:

  • Excess – Just like car insurance, if you state you’re willing to pay more excess in the event of a claim, then your premiums could decrease. Always remember to never state anything more than you can afford in your budget.

  • Security – Increasing the security of your vehicle may lead to lower insurance costs. Please Click Here to read our section below on security for more information.

  • Clubs – Sometimes insurance providers offer discounts for motorhome owners who are part of owners groups and caravan clubs.

  • No Claims Bonus – The longer you don’t make a claim, the more likely you will receive some form of discount when it comes to renewal time!

  • Driving Courses – Some insurers look favourably on drivers who have taken the time to complete an advanced driving course. A wide range of providers including the AA and the RAC conducts these course around the country. It’s up to you to decide whether the cost of a course will be beneficial to you. You should be aware that sometimes the savings you make on your policy might not cover the original course fee.

  • Named Drivers – Most people like to name at least two drivers, after all travelling along the motorways can be pretty boring. If your budget allows it’s a good idea to name a second driver as this will allow you to have the correct level of ‘breaks’ and avoid driver fatigue. Equally some insurers might actually look at two named drivers as favourable. This means you’re less likely to be involved in a collision, as two people will take the responsibility of the overall driving load.

Motorhome Security

The average UK motorhome costs around £30,000, it’s obviously an expensive purchase for most people.

With an expensive item come more opportunistic thieves who may try their hand at attempting to steal your pride and joy. This obviously worries a lot of insurers, as the chances of a claim can increase dramatically, depending on the location of the vehicle and how it’s stored.

You may find that some providers look favourably on owners who update and enhanced their security to include:

  • A Steering Lock
  • Wheel Clamps
  • Tracking Device
  • CCTV (on the home’s driveway)
  • Security Pole (on a home’s driveway)
As each provider has a different set of requirements when calculating your motorhome quote, it’s up to you to decide whether purchasing additional security items will be worthwhile.

Sometimes you can find that the initial outlay is not reoccupied with cheaper insurance premiums. As every quote is an individual assessment, it’s up to you to see if these features could save you money or not.

Taking a Motorhome Abroad

As we’re only a small island, you can easily see a lot of the British Isles within a year or two. If you want to venture further afield into mainland Europe you will need to make sure your insurance policy will cover you.

Travelling to France, Spain or Germany can certainly be exciting, however without the right level of protection in place, that trip of a lifetime can quickly turn sour.

It’s always recommended to have comprehensive motorhome cover, which includes breakdown and vehicle recovery. Equally you should try and also select a policy that includes emergency accommodation.

Remember it’s not just cover for your motorhome you’ll need. You will also need to get travel insurance too.

You can get a FREE European Health Insurance Card, which allows UK nationals to get free emergency medical care in mainland Europe. However, this should NEVER be used instead of insurance, it should always be used to supplement any policies you have in place.

Equally you should also take into consideration other insurance agreements you have. For example some home insurance policies will become invalid if you plan to the leave a property empty for longer than 31 days. It’s certainly worth checking all of your cover arrangements and see how these things may apply to you.


This website has been designed to help UK consumers find the best money saving tips, tricks, guides and techniques. Of course, just like many organisations we cannot guarantee 100% perfection. With that in mind, by using this website you agree that all information should be used at ‘your own risk’ and we cannot be held responsible or liable under any circumstances. For more details please read our terms and conditions.