Are you looking to purchase a Narrowboat Mattress in the UK, but unsure where to start? If so, this helpful guide could be ideal for you. It has been said that a “man’s home is his castle”, well a narrow boat can be described as your floating castle away from home! In which you enjoy the English countryside as you meander along at your own pace.
Narrowboats are popular up and down Britain, ideal for rest and recuperation and great for their tranquility. Of course this means it’s extremely important that you obtain a great night’s sleep too! Typically you’ll find both retailers of regular size, custom size and custom shape narrowboat mattresses. All at different price points and quality, which can make the task even harder to understand which one is right for your needs.
Where to Buy a NarrowBoat Mattress?
Here’s an extensive list of companies and factories which produce custom narrowboat mattresses in the United Kingdom.
- Duvalay – Originally own as Raskelf, Duvalay are a family-run business that was recently crowned ‘Bed Manufacturer of the Year 2017-18’. As featured on ‘Dragons Den’ in 2011 and part owned by Hilary Devey. They’re one of the market leaders and are based in Gomersal, West Yorkshire.
- Custom Size Beds – Based in Strood, Kent. Their website features a wide range of products including made to measure mattresses and beds for tourers, motorhomes, boats, euro size and more!
- Jonic Limited – Suitably located close to the M6, on the edge of the Lake District, where they have a showroom which welcomes visitors, so why not enjoy the beautiful lakes alongside a visit to Jonic! The team at Jonic are very proud to manufacture in the UK, ensuring outstanding quality alongside the best customer service. They have built a solid foundation by always going that extra mile and there’s a good range of made to measure mattresses and beds to choose from.
- Linthorpe Beds – This is a family run company which has three bed shops based in the North east of England. They also produce made to measure mattresses for caravans, motorhomes, narrowboats and more. Equally you can find other items like a custom size ottoman bed, custom frames and so on.
- Made 2 Measure Mattress – Made to measure mattresses is a family run bed business of over 20 years experience, earning a reputation for supplying quality products at low prices, with first class service. Based in Tamworth, Staffordshire
- GB Foam Direct – GB Foam was originally founded in 1976 as an independent polyurethane foam converter, set up primarily to please the growing demand for foam conversion or more merely put ‘cutting foam to shape and size’ for the thriving High Wycombe furniture industry. Over the last 40 years the business has expanded and diversified within an ever-changing foam industry, now providing a comprehensive range of specialist foam products to a wide variety of market sectors including bed frames and mattresses.
- The Foam Shop – Supply Foam Cut to Size, Foam Sheets, Memory foam nationally to 1000’s of pleased customers using their web site and online facilities. Based in Taunton, Somerset.
- J and A Foam – Located in Blackburn, Lancashire. J and A Foam have been supplying high-quality foam to the upholstery and bed markets for over 40 years.
Please note, none of these companies are ‘recommended’ by us, it’s simply a list to help with your search. You will need to do your own research on whether they’re appropriate for your situation and needs.
Types of Products
In most cases your canal boat mattress will either be an odd shape or a custom size. This is because most narrowboats cannot accommodate a standard UK double mattress which is 4ft 6in. Equally as most boats have limited size, the general width of the item may also be smaller than standard products from a regular bed shop.
Typically you may also need an item which has a “corner cut off” an “island shape” or even something completely different. Here’s some examples of the items of canal boat mattresses you may find:
An Island mattress can be found in an array of different places including in caravan’s, motorhomes and boats.
Typically the foot end of the item will feature a semi-circle curve. This type of item is commonly used in tight spaces, so people are able to walk and move around the bed more easily.
Corner Cut Off
A corner cut off mattress is similar to an Island, in the sense that one corner has been shaped to fit in with the surrounding room. This may be applicable to your narrowboat.
Typically the corner will still feature a solid edging to make the overall structure of the item safe, just like a standard mattress. From most manufacturers you can normally get these types of products in both single and double sizes. As well as custom sizes too.
Mattress Delivery to Your Canal or Marina
If you need your bed or mattress delivered to a marina then most companies can easily do this for you. Some will offer delivery free of charge, while others may ask for a delivery fee. This obviously varies depending on which bed retailer or manufacturer you use – so please ask your sales person before ordering.
Typically they will be able to deliver to most marinas throughout the country including (but not limited to):
Andover Canal, Ashton Canal, Barnsley Canal, Basingstoke Canal, Beverley Beck, Birmingham and Warwick Junction Canal, Birmingham Canal, Birmingham Canal, Blyth Navigation, Bridgewater Canal, Bridgwater and Taunton Canal, Calder and Hebble, Caldon Canal, Chelmer and Blackwater, Chesterfield Canal, Chichester Canal, Coventry Canal
Derby Canal, Derby and Sandiacre Canal, Driffield Navigation, Droitwich Canal, Dudley Canal, Erewash Canal, Exeter Canal, Fairbottom Branch Canal, Foss Dyke, Grand Junction Canal, Grand Union Canal, Grand Western Canal, Grantham Canal, Hertford Union Canal, Hollinwood Branch Canal, Huddersfield Broad Canal
Lancaster Canal, Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Lichfield Canal, Limehouse Cut, Llangollen Canal, Lydney Canal,Macclesfield Canal, Manchester Bolton & Bury Canal, Manchester Ship Canal, Market Weighton Canal, Melton Mowbray Navigation, Montgomery Canal, North Walsham & Dilham Canal, Nottingham Canal, Oxford Canal, Peak Forest Canal, Regent’s Canal, Ribble Link
Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation, Shrewsbury Canal, Shropshire Union Canal, Sleaford Navigation, Somerset Coal Canal, Staffordshire Canal, Stainforth and Keadby Canal, Stockport Branch Canal, Stourbridge Canal, Stratford-upon-Avon Canal
Tame Valley Canal, Thames and Medway Canal,Thames and Severn Canal, Trent and Mersey Canal, Uttoxeter Canal, Walsall Canal, Warwick and Napton Canal, Warwick and Birmingham Canal